Thursday, March 5, 2009

Future Is So BRIGHT I Gotta Wear Shades!

Check out these shades! NICE!

I couldn't go without posting about Brit's days in the lights. We had to have his poor little heel pricked 5 times for jaundice. The last couple of times he seriously didn't even flinch when they pricked him and then proceeded to squeeze the crud out of his little heel. He has tons of little cuts on his heel still. I will say that I hate taking off the band aids because everytime I did he would start to bleed again and that is when the crying happened. I felt awful!
This kind of shows how much Brit really liked the bed!

We got our results on Saturday that he needed to spend time in a "Bili Bed" (you know the horrible light bed). It was delivered on Saturday night and it just so happened that Brit and I were home alone. I got it all set up and stripped him down to his diaper, and placed his nice goggles on him...which when they say one size fits all...apparently they haven't met my boy! They didn't stay on him for anything, his head was too big. I got them on as best as I could and placed him in the bed. The poor boy was wedged into the bed. His head hit one end and his little long toes would wrap around the plexi glass on the other end. HE HATED THIS THING! Which of course made me hate it...all he did was cry. A cry I had never heard from him before. It was horrible.


See...he doesn't fit! We would put him in on an angle and it helped a little bit. But really, does this look comfy to you?


Two days of this...yes, of I will be honest we did really well that first night keeping him under it unless he was eating or having a diaper change, but then we cheated. I was up with him most of the night because he kept waking up from hitting his head or hand or feet. The second day we just would do it here and there. This baby is a cuddler and he was really struggling. By the third day Craig had a great idea...we sort of unscrewed a screw and was able to open the bed up wide, and placed it on the sides of his crib and he did much better with that. But still was never comfortable. Finally we got the okay to not use lights. Which when I heard that I did a happy dance. This morning when the guy came to pick up the bed...I haven't been so happy to see something go away in a very long time!

I know that this isn't the best picture but this was the sweetest thing that Zach did for his baby brother. Zach was waiting to go to church and couldn't handle Brit crying. He felt so sad for him. Zach sat right beside the bed and held Brit's hand and sang to him for like 20 minutes. I couldn't tell what he was singing so I asked him and he said, "I am just making up songs about him being my buddy." My tender heart Zach. It was one of those moments I will never forget.


To help keep the goggles in place we put a beanie on him and put the goggles over the beanie. When we got it all on I cracked up cause he reminded me of one of the characters on Fat Albert cartoon. You know this guy-
Brit is doing fine, we keep him in natural light just to help him along. It is a good thing that he won't remember that bed...it wasn't a fun experience. But we do what we have to do. The photos are priceless...but I don't want that again.

3 comments:

Amy-Sue and Gian Del Bello said...

That bed is so cool. I have never seen that before. It's like a little baby tanning bed. Hehe...did it smell like coconut sunscreen..teehee. Glad he's doing better.

Cari said...

You gotta love Zach! What a doll! Brit's so lucky to have such a caring big brother.

I'm so glad he's better and doesn't have to use the bed anymore. Although, the beanie with the glasses is funny. Isn't he the guy that talked like "heeba beeba deeba"? Funny.

Merfy said...

Scotty was in the lights too! It is so hard! Love the Fat Albert picture though and glad he is out!